How much will it cost?
It depends. Indexes typically bill at either per-page or per-project rates, which vary according to the density of the text and the level of indexing required. Some indexing and editing projects bill at hourly rates.
Can you quote my project?
Yes. Please provide a sample of the text from the final proofs and any specifications you may have.
Why should I hire a professional indexer?
- Usability matters. Professional indexers have the skills and training required to produce indexes that will increase the usability of your book for your audience. Indexers are trained to consider all of the ways a reader may access the text and to provide efficient and effective entry points into the text. A useful index will always serve the needs of the reader while reflecting the voice of the author. You can read more here about the usability of indexes.
- Experience matters. Indexing is a skill that is honed over time. A professional indexer will get the job done well and on schedule.
- Indexing software. Specialized software is an essential tool in the indexer’s toolkit. It allows indexers to edit and regenerate indexes quickly. Many indexers use macros and plug-ins to help speed up their process.
- Increased book sales. Potential buyers will consult the index before making a purchasing decision. A useful index will quickly and easily let a reader know if a particular subject is discussed in the text.
Why should I hire Salmon Bay Indexing?
- Since 2002, I have been working with small and large publishers and authors to produce high-quality indexes. I have 17+ years of experience working in all subject areas. I have never missed a deadline.
- By using dedicated indexing software and processes that increase productivity and improve accuracy, I guarantee that you will be satisfied with the quality of your index.
- All work is done in-house. I will never subcontract your project.
What do you need from me?
- PDF of the corrected (or final) proofs sent via email attachment, Dropbox, Google Drive or via FTP
- style guidelines (if specified)
- signed indexing agreement
How will I receive the index?
The index will be sent via email attachment as an RTF file.
How long will it take?
Turnaround times vary according to the length of the book and the level of indexing required.
Where does indexing fit in the publishing process?
Indexing happens after all corrections have been made to the proofs. An indexer will work from these corrected proofs and deliver the index in a format that can then be incorporated into the final proofs. See also Book Publishing 101
I need an editor/proofreader/book designer, etc. Can you help?
Yes. I can provide referrals to other freelancers in these areas.
How do I pay?
An invoice will be sent when the final index is delivered. Payment can be made by check, PayPal or wire transfer. Additional service charges may apply.
Can you provide a W-9?
What style guidelines do you follow?
By default, indexes are formatted according to Chicago Manual of Style and are sorted word-by-word. If provided, specific publisher guidelines will be followed. More information: index style specifications.
I need a taxonomy. Can you help?
Yes. Taxonomy development and consultation services are available. Please contact me to discuss the details of your project.